Saturday, March 23, 2013

There's No Ruz Like No Ruz


Back in Tehran. I think it was Marshall McLuhan who defined art as
“anything you can get away with.” By that definition, Iranian driving
is an art form of the most sublime order. Just as well alcohol is
illegal in this country.

Actually, Tehran is relatively quiet at the moment because a lot of
Tehranis have gone on vacation for No Ruz, the new year celebration
that kicked off on the spring equinox and lasts for two weeks. But
“quiet” by Tehran standards is still a fairly bustling city. Just not
bumper-to-bumper chaos the way it was when I first arrived.

In the end, my concern about being stuck in Esfahan worked out for the
best in all possible worlds. Sareh and Mohsen agreed that it would be
a lot easier for me to find a bus out of Esfahan after No Ruz had
passed—the official moment for the start of the new year is the moment
the sun passes the celestial equator and varies from year to year, but
this year was around 2:30 pm (Iranian time) on 20 March—and so Sareh
invited me (and Mohsen, whose family is in Tehran) to join her family
for No Ruz.

I’m kind of surprised I’d never heard of No Ruz before I started
planning my trip to Iran. It’s a huge deal here—at least as big as
Chinese New Year (although I suppose there are more Chinese people in
Vancouver and other places I’ve lived than there are Iranians)—and a
really nice holiday, which dates back at least 2500 years. There are
all sorts of preparations leading up to the new year, ranging from the
bonfire jumping I attended the previous night, to people tidying their
homes and getting everything in order for the new year. People also
set up a nice arrangement of Haft Seen—literally, the seven S’s—sort
of the way many Western families set up a Christmas tree around
Christmas. The seven S’s are sabzi (green sprouts), samanu (wheat
pudding), seer (garlic), sumac, sib (apple), senjed (dried fruit), and
sonbol (hyacinth), although they also often have sekeh (a gold coin),
serkeh (vinegar), candles, a mirror, a Qur’an, and a bowl with a
couple goldfish. Each thing symbolizes something: the sabzi are
rebirth and fertility, for instance, and the gold coin symbolizes
adequate income. On the day of No Ruz, and for the two weeks that
follow, families travel to see one another.

Two things from that paragraph I should remark on a bit more. The
first is the tidying of homes. Sort of like the Japanese, I suppose,
Iranians have a much higher standard of cleanliness and order than we
do in the West. Well, at least in the home—the streets can be a bit
chaotic and filthy. But every home I’ve been in has been obsessively
tidy, with furniture and carpets all symmetrically aligned. During the
three days I stayed with Mohsen, I think the place was vacuumed twice
(the second time by Sareh even though she doesn’t live there and isn’t
Mohsen’s girlfriend or anything—even in very liberal families, it’s
generally assumed that women will do most of the cooking and
cleaning), and surfaces were sprayed and wiped down on multiple
occasions. Even on the cheap buses I’ve taken to and from Esfahan, the
bus attendant passed up and down the aisle spraying the bus with air
freshener. And everyone wears perfume or cologne, making me feel
generally rather smelly and grubby.

The second thing is the importance of families in Iran. Young people
generally live with their parents for longer, and extended families
maintain close contact with one another. You find this reflected even
in the language:  there are different words for aunts on the mother’s
and father’s side, for instance, and when Sareh was trying to explain
who the different family members were she asked me “What’s the English
word for the husband of your cousin?”

There were maybe a dozen of us at Sareh’s mother’s home for No Ruz.
Mohsen and I were the only non-family members, but then there was an
array of sisters, aunts, cousins (and cousins’ husbands) that I wasn’t
entirely able to keep track of. Sareh herself is very liberal—to the
extent that she was wearing a miniskirt and a sleeveless top at the
Chahar Shanbe-soori festivities of the previous night—but her family
is more religious, and her younger sister and mother were both very
conservatively dressed (and Sareh also wears the hejab in her mother’s
home, although far more loosely than her mother does).

After tea and sweets and various family members arriving, the moment
of No Ruz arrived. We all gathered in a circle around the Haft Seen
arranged on the floor in the middle of the room, kneeled together and
held hands, the senior male said a prayer, and after the moment passed
we all exchanged greetings and congratulations (three kisses on the
cheek between men, but obviously no touching women). The moment of No
Ruz was broadcast on television, and was followed by new year’s
messages from Khamenei and Ahmadinejad (the previous evening I’d seen
Barack Obama send new year’s greetings to Iranians around the world on
BBC Farsi, which Mohsen gets via satellite).

The whole occasion was almost heartbreakingly lovely. Everyone was so
happy to see one another, and also so happy to have me and Mohsen to
join them. I was especially warmly welcomed as a foreigner in their
midst, and the fact that most of them spoke no more English than I
speak Farsi (luckily I do know how to say “happy new year”—saal e no
mobaarak) hardly mattered at all. I came away with the feeling that I
would be welcome in any one of a half dozen homes in Esfahan for as
long as I’d like. Actually leaving was a huge undertaking, as it
involved near-tearful farewells with a number of people I hadn’t met
more than two hours earlier.

But leave we did, with Mohsen and Sareh driving me to the bus terminal
and finding a Tehran-bound bus almost immediately. So I got back to
Tehran that night and had my Esfahani No Ruz celebration as well.

And that was only the first of my No Ruz experiences. A former student
of my father’s called Mahboubeh (I’ll use her real name since she’s in
Vancouver and might be reading this blog anyway) put me in touch with
her nieces in Tehran, Shirin and Fatimah (not their real names, even
though Shirin thought this blog practice was entirely unnecessary when
I told her about it), who took me out yesterday. Shirin works for a
biomedical engineering company, and studied and worked in the UK
before being recently transferred to the Boston area, and her younger
sister Fatimah teaches English to schoolchildren in Tehran.

Our first stop was the National Carpet Museum, where we ogled
magnificent specimens of one of Iran’s most famous hallmarks. Most of
the carpets were less than a hundred years old just because carpets
don’t age well, but there was at least one that dated back four or
more centuries. I don’t know my carpets well enough to talk
authoritatively about the different styles, but each carpet came with
a place of origin as well as a knot count (the higher the better), and
some of the patterns were dizzyingly complex. Most were abstract, or
with birds and leafy arabesques, but a few were more pictorial, with
pictures from the Shahnamah (Ferdosi’s 10th century epic, occupying a
place in Persian literature not unlike Homer’s in the West), the four
seasons, or the zodiac. One assembled the world’s great sages and
statesmen, with the top row occupied by Moses, Solomon, Jesus, and,
yes, Mohammed. Quick, someone contact the editor of the
Jyllands-Posten, or better yet, the people who want to kill him.

After that, Shirin and Fatimah drove me out to the north of Tehran,
where we visited the Sa’d Abad Museum Complex, formerly the summer
residence of the Pahlavi shahs, who governed Iran until 1979. Like the
Golestan Palace of the Qajars, the Pahlavis had more opulence than
good taste, but the complex is set amid white-barked trees (not
birches, I don’t think, but I don’t know my trees well enough to say
what) and a burbling brook, which made the whole outing very peaceful
indeed. North Tehran is younger and much more affluent than the south,
and you can see the city change as you drive north. My hotel is
flanked by small auto parts shops, and as I head north the shops get
larger and start selling clothing and leather goods. Further north,
the apartment blocks get larger and trees provide more shade and
greenery. Like in Vancouver, it’s very easy to tell north from south
in Tehran, since the city comes to a stop at the foothills of the
Alborz Mountains, which dominate the northern skyline. Except, unlike
Vancouver, Tehran is already at about 1000m above sea level and the
mountains to its north reach over 5000m (at 5671m, Mount Damavand is
the tallest in the Middle East), so there’s even more dreamlike snow
on the Alborz Mountains than you would see on the north shore of
Vancouver at this time of year.

I was then invited to join Shirin and Fatimah’s parents (well, okay, I
sort of invited myself, and I hope I wasn’t too much of an
imposition!) for dinner. Shirin and Fatimah’s parents live in an
apartment in north Tehran, but describing it as an apartment risks
understating how grand and spacious it was. They take tasteful
decoration and tidiness to a whole new level, and I was in awe of the
luxury of it all. But they were also supremely warm and friendly (I’m
starting to notice a trend in Iran), and were gracious hosts despite
the language barrier.

After supper, a couple families came by for a round of New Year’s
greetings (I might be getting this wrong, but I think they’re the
brothers of Shirin's and Fatimah’s father). The whole thing was a
cacophony of good-will: in and out within an hour, with lots of
protestations of love and fondness, and a quick exchange of gifts.

Having spent a number of days being on the business end of some
energetic hosting, I was very happy to take it easier yesterday. I
wandered up to have a look at the US Den of Espionage (aka the former
US Embassy), which is remarkable mostly for the murals on the walls,
where one sees the Statue of Liberty with a skull for a head and the
US Congress topped with an Israeli flag. And then a short stroll over
to the Artists Park, which houses a couple contemporary art museums
(almost all the museums in Tehran are closed during No Ruz,
unfortunately) and one of Tehran’s two main theatres (I might get to
see a Farsi production of The Cherry Orchard when I come back in
April!). There I ran into Mishka and Adi, a Philipino-British girl and
her Iranian-German boyfriend, who were the first backpackers I hung
out with. We had a nice lunch at an all-vegetarian restaurant in the
park (oh, those artists!), and if I go to Berlin next year (still no
word from either Berlin or Chicago, except notification that no news
isn’t yet bad news) I might get a chance to see them again, as they’re
hoping to spend a few months in Leipzig this autumn.

And then, after a few errands, I found myself in the lovely, leafy
Park-e Shahr near my hotel in South Tehran, where, just off Khayyam
Street, I read the Ruba’iyat of Omar Khayyam:

Ah, fill the Cup: -- what boots it to repeat
How time is slipping underneath our Feet:
  Unborn TOMORROW, and dead YESTERDAY,
Why fret about them if TODAY be sweet!

Now I’m going to head to the bus terminal and see if I can get a bus
to Qazvin, which is the gateway to the evocatively-named Valley of the
Assassins. And hopefully you won’t hear from me for a few days because
I’ll be away from the Internet and hiking, hiking.

But one last thought before I go. As you might imagine, Khomeini’s
image is all over the place in Iran, although in fairness, he’s
probably not as ubiquitous as Ataturk is in Turkey. I’ve noticed that
in many of these portraits we see him in quarter-profile, looking
slyly out of the corner of his eye at something to his right. And it
occurs to me that I’ve also seen Pope (emeritus) Benedict depicted in
a similar manner. What is it about theologico-political leaders that
their wisdom and prudence finds its best expression in their ability
to notice things off to their right, but to be too canny to simply
turn their heads and look to see what it is?

No comments:

Post a Comment